internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] On the Nature of Flickr Interestingness

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ruth Suehle <wuzzled AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] On the Nature of Flickr Interestingness
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 09:19:05 -0500

There are three things I can quickly think of that Flickr can do that I
can't do with Gallery:

1. The community aspect that you seem so skeptical of, Dave. On Flickr,
groups form around types of photos. You're all posting the same type of
thing and discussing it.

One of my favorites (perhaps just because it was the first time I saw either
of these functions, but it's still fun) is the What's in Your Bag group -
http://flickr.com/groups/52241283780@N01/. There are actually several of the
bag stuff groups; that's just one.

2. Photo notes, an important part of the bag stuff groups. For an example,
look at this one -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2pawsup/82185625/in/pool-52241283780@N01/

3. A quick and easy photo mosaic. For example, this insta-portfolio a
fashion design friend created this week:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pintuck/83012278. This isn't directly a part of
Flickr, though. It comes from http://flagrantdisregard.com/flickr/.

Ruth