internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] TW DVR to PC/DVD

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Caswell <derpimpkar AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] TW DVR to PC/DVD
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:53:38 -0800 (PST)

I'd guess that's the reason too. WMC tries hard to look like a set-top box
so it all has to work together really smoothly. It's not a big issue if
you're good at building computers but that's still a small percent of the
population. You may not need to buy a whole computer to get the WMC software
-

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/Skusearch.hmx?scriteria=AA30890

You could call and ask if buying a TV tuner card qualified as "hardware". I
bought a computer for it because I was in need of enough hardware for it to
justify buying a new computer. I also wanted to play games on the widescreen
TV but don't tell my wife.

WMC can support two analog tuners and an HDTV tuner for a total of three. I
think it may be able to support one more HDTV tuner. Haupaugge makes a card
with two analog tuners and ATI makes an HD tuner.

You should be able to pipe the signal into an MPEG capture card and record
the show. You're right you would lose the HD quality and you would have to
watch the whole show in realtime to record it. I never liked that about the
Tivo series 1 Save-to-VCR feature. If you want to archive a series you have
to be dilligent about encoding it at the same time.

Tom