internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Home use HP all in one printer, copier, fax, scanner

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <dianaduncan AT entuend.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Home use HP all in one printer, copier, fax, scanner
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 22:32:55 -0400

Faxing while using VOIP does pose problems if that's what you're asking..
Sorry for not being more clear. I have one land line to use for both telephone answering machine and fax. It would be nice if voice messages would go to the answering machine and faxes go to the fax machine. I've heard that HP units can be set so that that they don't fight with answering equipment. If anyone knows that this is true, I'd be interested in hearing which units do this and are they any good.  Don
---

I'm pretty sure it can be done...when we had the K80 set up for faxing we actually did have different phone *numbers* assigned for the fax and phone, but they shared one *line* - this was a BellSouth feature where the fax line was somehow set to ring differently?  It wasn't particularly expensive from what I remember.  Anyway, from the manual at http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpu04079.pdf:

Set the answer mode
To set the answer mode, choose one of the following:
If you want your HPOfficeJet to answer every fax call automatically, verify that
Auto Answer is enabled. (The light next to Auto Answer on the front panel is on
when the feature is enabled. Press the Auto Answer button to turn it on or off.)
If you want to answer fax calls manually, turn Auto Answer off.
Set the Rings to Answer setting
This setting tells your HPOfficeJet how many rings should occur before it answers an
incoming call. Follow these steps to change the Rings to Answer setting manually.
To use this feature, Auto Answer must be enabled. The light next to Auto Answer is on
when the feature is enabled. Press the Auto Answer button to turn it on or off.
1 Press Menu.
2 Press 5, and then press 3.
3 After Answer on Ring appears, press  to scroll to the desired number of rings.
4 After the number you want appears, press ENTER.

I find this to be a bit vague, and I really can't tell if it's possible or not. :)

Cheers,

Diana