internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] problem with the neighbors and fighting city hall

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ilan Volow <listboy AT clarux.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] problem with the neighbors and fighting city hall
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 23:44:03 -0400

A random story.

Back in my days at Ithaca College, I rushed Sigma Phi Epsilon. A lot of the activities were fun, and they fed me all these lines about having brothers and such if I would join. When I asked them about what kinds of "brotherly love" I'd have to endure at the initiation, they said it would be doing a bunch of silly stuff and being made fun of a little. I wasn't dumb and I knew that part of getting into a fraternity was doing some outrageous stuff, but I didn't think the stuff I would be doing would end up being very harmful in the end.

Eventually, I had decided not to become a pledge because I had so many other things to do and something about the fraternity seemed kind of fishy, but I couldn't tell what it was. On a trip to the college gym the following year, I noticed that a Sig Ep member who was pumping iron wearing a sleeveless shirt had this puffy-shaped mark on his arm that remarkably resembled the Greek letter sigma. After talking with a member of different (and saner) fraternity, my suspicions were right: Sig Ep branded their pledges. Silly and harmless initiation my ass.

I could never call a person who lies to me and intentionally inflicts bodily harm on me a "brother". Rather, I would call such a person a sociopath. I don't know what practices the NCSU chapter of Sig Ep engage in, and perhaps they don't brand their members, but it reflects on the character of the entire Sig Ep organization as a whole that at least at one particular school their would turn a blind eye to what was going on.

If I had children, and these guys lived next door to me, I'd be trying my damnedest to get them moved out, and by any means necessary. But that's just my opinion.

--Ilan