internetworkers - [internetworkers] it's friday. let's have fun with a scammer...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Lundgren <internetworkers AT capitalfellow.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] it's friday. let's have fun with a scammer...
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:52:36 -0400

Like most newspapers the Charlotte-Observer's classified ad revenue is threatened by Craigslist. I've put up an ad for a lovely set of minimalist back steel & smoked glass end tables I'd like to sell and because I'm cheap I added a email address for interested buyers to contact me if they'd like pictures. I received an interesting response of a Spammer-esque subject, weird grammar seemingly auto-generated text, and a complete misunderstanding of how transactions of a classified ad in a local paper work. Sure I didn't think this was legit, but I sent a picture of the table and explained I would not ship the item because of the glass and accepted only cash. Below are the replies. I lack the creativity gene specifically for screwing with people. Matusiak? INW in general anyone want to suggest an amusing course of action?

- SL

The first message:
subject: Urgent Response Needed
body: Hello I saw your ads posted which am really interested in purchasing it from you.Kindly get back to me these details as soon as possible. Price: Total Condition: Picture: Do get back to me if the ads is still forsale rigth now.The payment will drawn via Money Order. The shipment will be handling by my shipper from you end. Willing to read from you today. Regards, Clarie Benson

The second message:
subject: ARRANGEMENT MADE FOR THE PAYMENT
body:
Thanks for the mail,I am sorry for the late response ok,i have a little problem with my computer that is why i can email you on time. i will have to inform you that i am okay with the price of the table($50) the condtion terms are also okay with me, For the Shippment from your location,i have my SHIPPER that will come over for the pick up from your location as soon as we seal this Transaction from your end.

Do e-mail me your (FULL NAME ON CHEQUE, CONTACTED ADDRESS,MOBILE&LANLINE PHONE NUMBER) For the payment arrangment, i will be paying by Money Order and i will wait for the Money Order to clear before the pick up from your location.I have a CLIENT of my that is owning me some Fund in United State that will issue you the Money Order of ($2500) soon as you receive the Money Order and clear from the bank, you will deduct the cost of the ADVERT and the remaining balance will be send to the Shipper through WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER for the pick up from your location.

If this is okay by you, do e-mail me the following detail
FULL NAME ON MONEY ORDER:
CONTACTED ADDRESS:
MOBILE&LADLINE PHONE NUMBER:

for the Money Order to be made out to you. Hope to read from you soonest.
Regards,
Clarie Benson...
NB:- I will wait for the Money Order to clear before the pick up. I will compensate you with $50 for you to remove the advert from the net.