internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Health Insurance

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: DonBartholf AT aol.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Health Insurance
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:13:45 EST

In a message dated 2/20/05 11:33:37 AM Central Standard Time, jakegreene AT gmail.com writes:
My wife is a teacher in Wake County, and we've learned that it's far
cheaper for my son and I to be independently insured through Blue
Cross' BlueAdvantage program than to be added to her insurance
package.

The two of us, my son and I, are being charged ~$190/mo for what I
consider to be pretty good coverage.  We make the yearly cost back in
a few doctor visits, drug benefits and the piece of mind in knowing
that if I get hit by a car while riding my bike we won't be
financially ruined.

Things may be different for you, Colleen, because you're a woman and
so are inherently more expensive to insure.  That's not a value
judgement, just an insurance reality.  Also, if we were to forgo my
wife's insurance from the state and add her to our plan, our plan
would more than double.  So there's that.

Anyhoo, you can get a rate quote online at
http://www.bcbsnc.com/plans/blueadvantage/rate.cfm.

-Jake
I am seconding this motion. My wife teaches in Chatham county and has insurance through the State. I looked at adding myself and our two children to her policy and found it was cheaper to put the three of us on Blue Advantage and we got better coverage. Each policy is different so look around and ask for a quote. We found Blue Advantage through an insurance broker.

Don Bartholf