internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Health Insurance

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <dianaduncan AT contentdb.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Health Insurance
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:19:41 -0500

On Feb 24, 2005, at 9:52 AM, Colleen McCarthy wrote:

Hi Folks,

Thanks so much for all of the information! I'm looking at an opportunity
with a startup, and may have to carry all of my benefits myself. This leads
me to further questions...

This is not answering your actual questions, but when Craig and I were carrying our own benefits, we found it was MUCH cheaper to buy them as the company. Since we had two people in our company, we could have a "group" and bought United Healthcare coverage. I would suggest to this startup that they go ahead and sign up as a group, then just pass 100% of the cost on to the employees. It would certainly save any employees the hassle of trying to buy their own coverage. The employees can always decline the "benefit" should they find cheaper coverage themselves.

The other thing about group coverage vs. individual -- we couldn't find a single individual policy at the time that would cover maternity. Isn't that strange? So that's another reason we went for a group policy. Thank goodness, for it was a month after buying the policy that I got pregnant with Caelan! It does make me wonder what other strange exclusions individual policies may have.

Anyway, just a thought.

Diana