internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] expanding home wireless

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Craig Duncan <craigduncan AT entuend.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] expanding home wireless
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:53:21 -0500

Until this evening, I had a similar problem - wireless router on one side of
the house, TV room diagonally opposite on a different floor. Following the
advice from the list and quick search on the Linksys web site, I stopped by
Best Buy on the way home and picked up a set of more powerful antenna. In
addition, I purchased the remote stand so that I could mount them on the wall
away from furniture and other obstacles.

The net result of the antenna alone was that I could move anywhere in the
house and get a connection, but the signal strength was poor. So I changed
the channel on the router from 6 to 9 and voila, 54Mb/s at the farthest point
in the house from the access point. You may also wish to experiment with the
position of the antenna.

iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"entuend" Nickname:"entuend"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.452 GHz Access Point: 0F:0F:96:99:14:00
Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:13 dBm
RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr=2346 B
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-77 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm

Hope this helps, ymmv,
Craig