internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] expanding home wireless

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: DonBartholf AT aol.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] expanding home wireless
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:01:23 EST

I would go with one of two routes. The first is more power. I'd consider a super a/g wireless routerand see what that did. 2 wire brags about their power output. If you can pull Cat 5 or 6 I'd consider relocating the router to a more central location. You can get premade Cat 5 and 6 cables very inexpensively on the internet. Do you have a cable from the router to one compuer or is the whole thing wireless. If wireless, can you locate the modem and router in a more central location?

I wound up pulling cable throught the attic for several locations and using the wireless ports for vistors and the odd expansions. I saw a module that would put the x-box in to the network and another that included the entertainment center.

Don B