internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] expanding home wireless

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Sil Greene" <quack AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] expanding home wireless
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:16:47 -0500 (EST)

I agree with Simon's suggestions, Paul. Be aware that your channel
availability might depend on what your neighbors aren't using.

Moving to an 802.11g AP/router might fix the problem, but I wouldn't bet
on it. A different unit might put out a slightly better signal, or have a
slightly better antenna, but that's about your only hope there. Your
802.11b devices won't have any difficulty accessing the device, though.

I would add that, if a different channel doesn't get rid of the dead spot,
repositioning your existing device is probably your best bet.

--s