internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] expanding home wireless

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: jim AT neuse.net, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] expanding home wireless
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:49:42 -0500

Jim Ray wrote:

I use a copper myself. If you must use wireless, try connecting another
access point as opposed to router, use a Cat5 patch cord to locate the
access point in a more suitable region for reception and put it on a
different channel.

A copper is a police officer. They may carry batons, but they usually don't conduct.
My first suggestion would be to see if reception is any better on a different channel; sometimes different channels have better transmission paths.
A second approach is to try using a different antenna; for example, a 10db gain omni might do the trick, and there might still be one somewhere in Paul's office :)