internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] why am I not surprised?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] why am I not surprised?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:25:48 -0500

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:05:12 -0500, Chad Ingham <wap AT visi.com> wrote:
> Now please clarify something for me. You said that there are no moral
> difference between a true Republic and a true Democrat. This statement
> throws me off. Abortion. Is this a moral issue? Are there any people
> who are not neo-con Republicans who believe abortion is morally wrong?

I am not a neo-con Republican. I am not a regular Republican, either.
I am also not an Democrat or a Libertarian. I "decline to affiliate"
myself with any party, valuing individual qualities over group think.

I happen to think that abortion is morally wrong. I also happen to
think that it's something the government has no business legislating
against because things are hardly ever that black and white.
Sometimes, abortion can be the lesser of all evils.

Even the so called "partial birth abortion" bans have their problems.
There was an article that came over the wire a couple of months
ago about someone who's baby died in utero, strangled by the
umbilical cord. The safest way to proceed would have been to
do a "dilation and extraction" (otherwise known as a partial
birth abortion). She could have waited until she carried it to
term and done a still birth, but the chance of the mother dying there
is much greater, and carrying a dead fetus has its own complications.
But, because of what the "right" has done attempting to criminalize
it, there was no where she could get the procedure done, because
she couldn't find a doctor willing to do it. What is wrong with this picture?

So, even though I think that abortion is wrong, I also believe that the
issue of whether it's morally wrong shouldn't be between someone and
the government but rather between someone and their god.

Cheers,
Tanner