internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] why am I not surprised?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] why am I not surprised?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 17:05:34 -0500

And one more since you asked for it.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20041202/wl_uk_afp/britai
n_poland_auschwitz_041202132030

Nearly half of Britons never heard of Auschwitz

Thu Dec 2, 8:20 AM ET

LONDON (AFP) - Nearly half of Britons have never heard of the Nazi
concentration camp of Auschwitz in southern Poland, according to a BBC
television poll that was conducted just ahead of the 60th anniversary of the
camp's liberation.

Forty-five percent of the 4,000 people questioned for the survey by BBC Two
said they had never heard of the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp, the television
channel said Thursday.

The BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) is due to broadcast several
documentaries on the "Final Solution", the Nazi's plan to obliterate
European Jewry, including on Auschwitz, for the 60th anniversary of the
concentration camp's liberation on January 27, 2005.

"Our series is not only about the shocking, almost unimaginable pain of
those who died, or survived, Auschwitz. It's about how the Nazis came to do
what they did," said producer Laurence Rees.

The documentary based on statements from nearly 100 survivors and officials
from the camp took three years to make.

The BBC has also produced a musical show at the site of the camp dedicated
to the victims of the Holocaust.

Between 1940 and 1945 more than one million men, women and children -- most
of them Jews from around 20 European countries -- died in horrific
circumstances at Auschwitz, one of the most infamous of World War II
concentration camps.

- Shea Tisdale

Every generation has an obligation to improve the world.