internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Ruth Suehle" <wuzzled AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] why not a mac?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:01:09 -0500

Well, I was replying, but mostly to say everything Michael just said, so I
I'll just add my experience.

OS X - At the last place I worked, we used Macs, and we were really excited
about OS X. Don, I can imagine that the reason your friend asked if that's
what you were using could be the same thing I went through. If you ever want
to see me run screaming in terror, there are five words that will do it, and
it's not "What's your favorite scary movie?" Those first few months of OS X,
I got the dreaded "panic... We are hanging here" message more times than I
want to count. But I haven't gotten that since 10.2 came out.

When my power supply fried, I called Apple at about 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
The next morning, I had a new power supply. It did turn out to be the wrong
type for my system, but I called, and first thing the next morning, the
right one was on my desk. No problems.

I had to give up my Powerbook when I left that job, and it hasn't been the
same since. (I sound like I lost a lover or something, don't I?) I bought a
Dell laptop, but it just didn't work out between us. About two months ago, I
bought an iBook, and I've been a contended little Mac girl again ever since.

I used to have this battle from the other direction - there was a guy I knew
in college who was a rabid Mac fan, and I always turned up my nose at it.
Now in retrospect, I think about how people say Macs are the computer for
dummies, but in reality, it's usually been the smartest people I know who
used them. Or maybe I'm biased as a convert now. :-D

Ruth