internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Erection (same planet, different worlds)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Erection (same planet, different worlds)
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:51:52 -0500

Lee! Good to hear from you.

On Nov 5, 2004, at 7:53 AM, Lee Haslup wrote:
I could not help but notice that ideas attributed to conservatives, such as "freedom" or "pro-life" or "civic duty" or "noblesse oblige" appear to require "quotation marks" to keep them from leaking out and mixing with the rest of the text, whereas in describing liberal thought no quotation marks are needed.

Actually, he's very balanced about this. Here's where Lakoff uses most of the terms you listed:

In other conservative discourse, progressive taxation is referred to as "theft"
and "taking people's money away from them." Conservatives do not see the
progressive income tax as "paying one's fair share" or "civic duty" or even
"noblesse oblige." Is there anything besides greed that leads conservatives
to one view of taxation over another?

It's pretty clear that he considers the last three to be liberal ideas (catchphrases, actually). I think he's trying to be very careful with language, and marking off these phrases to make sure we flag them and don't just process them without thinking. Perhaps italics would have been a better choice..

=jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/