internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] supporting democracy growth

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Evan Zimmerman <evan.zimmerman AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] supporting democracy growth
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:36:52 -0400

I completely agree with you Don that Iraq may, in 10-15 years, be a
beacon for some in the region. I do think the region needs democracy.

Where I differ, is
a) believing it's our 'duty' to run around the world like johnny
democracy-seed, spreading our good word with guns and bombs, and
b) believing that Bush has achieved the goal of establishing a
democracy there sooner than other efforts might have. What we've done
is beat them into submission and said 'look, they're free!'.
Many on the right seem to scoff at the very concept of diplomacy, but
I'm not seeing a lot of good getting done with our guns. Diplomacy and
sanctions etc work. It takes time, and it takes perserverance, but it
does not make us 'weak' to take that route, in fact quite the opposite
I believe.

It's nice for us to feel that we have something the entire world
should have, and who knows, maybe that's true. But it's so much more
complicated than that, and running roughshod over millenias of culture
to pound a foreign nation into the mold we 'think' they should be in
is folly. In my opinion.

On the other hand, finding a way (I wouldn't presume to know what that
way is) to lead them to it, giving them a choice, is something I would
stand by. Being an example, for example. We won't be a great example
of democracy for some years to come methinks, after our recent
missteps. It's a real shame, but on tues I firmly believe that will
begin to change. I can't wait :-)

Evan