internetworkers - [internetworkers] [ASIDE] MI6

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] [ASIDE] MI6
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:50:58 -0400 (EDT)

In reference to Tony Spencer's message:
>> who shared their intel that M16 believed? the CIA
>
> MI6 doesn't do their own intelligence anymore?

total aside here; I don't really want to get into the thread.

The UK, Australia, France, Germany, etc. all conduct their own intel ops,
and by and large they're good at it. However, there exists a little
something called the UK-USA Agreement (Australia, New Zealand, UK, and
USA), under which intel is shared. In theory it's an equal agreement, but
in practice the US takes more than it gives. However, what it gives is in
the arenas of electronic and satellite surveillance, something in which
the other countries don't have quite the experience or expenditure.
There's also the matter of the many US-owned-and-operated listening posts
and whatnot that dot the globe. If the host countries want any of that
intel it has to come from us.

Re: the thread ... The arguement could go either way. We do receive
reports from them, but it could also be said that MI6 doesn't draw its own
conclusions.

-Alan