internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] on definitions...'special interests' ?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] on definitions...'special interests' ?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:47:56 -0400

On Oct 20, 2004, at 12:25 PM, Sil Greene wrote:
(Based on first and last paragraphs, I'm not sure breast cancer survivors
qualify as a special interest. They're not exactly pushing for something
that doesn't benefit the body politic.)

Many "special interests" want something we'd generally agree is a Good Thing, but there's always the question of cost (financial, moral) and especially *opportunity* cost (the stuff you *could* have done with that money, effort, and political capital).

To should for my favorite cause, without regard for the alternatives, is entirely human. But to me, that means I'm a special interest.

A valuable function of legislators and bureaucrats is to lay out all the Good Things, then decide which ones to pursue with limited resources. Tough to do if they already have their minds made up.

=jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/