internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] immediate reactions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sasha Akhavi <sasha.akhavi AT alumni.brown.edu>
  • To: Ian Meyer <ianmeyer AT gmail.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] immediate reactions
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 01:00:29 -0400

It wasn't style that tripped Bush up tonight; it was substance. This was the most issues-focused debate I have seen in a presidential election - no outstanding quips, no distracting jabs, just 90 minutes of Jim Lehrer and John Kerry confronting George Bush about his policies in Iraq, and George Bush faltering in response.

3) big things came out of this debate for me: 1) Kerry seemed more presidential - more mature, more resolute, more intelligent and less whiny - than the President and had the opportunity to recast the "flip-flopping" characterization Bush has tried to level at him; 2) Bush was shown up as valuing certainty above rectitude, in the face of all evidence; 3) Kerry reestablished his credentials as a military leader, and a more circumspect one than the President has been. I'm as biased as they come too, but his respect for the people doing the fighting, and his pledge that their endagerment would be his last resort, was inescapably more sincere than Bush's.

... and after sending out this highly partisan message, I'm going to be gone for the weekend, so I won't be around to continue the discussion til Monday. See y'all then -SA

/me has no cable. :'(

but i have to say, damn, i thought bush was supposed to be a great
debater (resisting saying hes a master debater) and had never lost a
debate in his life, but he messed that all up.

Now, I'm about as biased as they come, but I'm not above calling
someone out of he messed things up. There were a few times when I
wanted to reach out and smack Kerry up side the head, but I was too
distracted by Bush blinking all the time...or pausing in....the
middle........

of a sentence to compose himself...

my $0.02
ian