internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Charity

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Charity
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:28:19 -0400

Corey Wilson wrote:

Recent disaster relief efforts aside, what are some well regarded charities in the area that would be happy to accept a volunteer's time (as opposed to money)? We'd prefer the charity to be both secular and non-political, and would like to see our efforts make a lasting difference, as opposed to the "give a man a fish" mentality of soup kitchens, etc.

If you live in or near a fire district that's covered by a volunteer
fire department, you might want to give that a look. Even if you're not
interested in crawling around inside burning houses, there are tons of
other positions to fill on most VFD's. Driver / Operator, the guy
brings a couple of coolers of ice water to a big fire, or even
administrative jobs like secretary.

I personally have been involvedin the fire service since I was about 14
or so, and have to say that it's an incredible experience. Very
demanding at times, and sometimes heartbreaking ( the nature of the job
is that you're responding to bad things happening to people) but it can
be incredibly rewarding.

TTYL,

Phil R.