internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Charity -tearing down and building houses

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: James Dasher <jdasher AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Charity -tearing down and building houses
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:08:59 -0400

On Sep 28, 2004, at 1:38 PM, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 09:12, Corey Wilson wrote:

Recent disaster relief efforts aside, what are some well regarded
charities in the area that would be happy to accept a volunteer's time
(as opposed to money)? We'd prefer the charity to be both secular and
non-political, and would like to see our efforts make a lasting
difference, as opposed to the "give a man a fish" mentality of soup
kitchens, etc.

If you prefer building houses, even if you don't have handyman skils,
consider Habitat for Humanity. Habitat is not just "give a man a fish"
as recipients of Habitat houses spend hundreds of hours working on their
house with the volunteers, and are required to pay for the cost of
building materials with a mortgage. See, for example,
http://www.habitatwake.org/

Also, the construction boss and director of volunteers, a guy named Mike Dasher, is a stand-up sort. I've known him for most of his life, and think you'll probably like working with him.

Cheers --

--
James Dasher
misterdasher dot com