internetworkers - [internetworkers] Charity

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Corey Wilson <corey_wilson AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Charity
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:12:02 -0400

My wife and I are fortunate enough to have a bit of free time and would like to donate some of it to a charity. We would prefer to do something that benefits the local community, but are relatively new to town and don't yet know what that could be.
Recent disaster relief efforts aside, what are some well regarded charities in the area that would be happy to accept a volunteer's time (as opposed to money)? We'd prefer the charity to be both secular and non-political, and would like to see our efforts make a lasting difference, as opposed to the "give a man a fish" mentality of soup kitchens, etc.

Any ideas or experiences you could share are appreciated.