internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Charity -tearing down and building houses

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Charity -tearing down and building houses
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:38:50 -0400

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 09:12, Corey Wilson wrote:

> Recent disaster relief efforts aside, what are some well regarded
> charities in the area that would be happy to accept a volunteer's time
> (as opposed to money)? We'd prefer the charity to be both secular and
> non-political, and would like to see our efforts make a lasting
> difference, as opposed to the "give a man a fish" mentality of soup
> kitchens, etc.

This is not a human services type charity, but the Triangle Rails to
Trails Conservancy (TRTC) is always looking for volunteers to help on
our workdays. Our primary activity is the building of the American
Tobacco Trail multi-use greenway in southern Durham and northeastern
Chatham County. See http://www.triangletrails.org/

This is definitely a lasting effort as hopefully these greenways will
serve residents for decades. (It's not a "personal" or human services
type charity, though.)

In the next few weeks we are working on tearing down an old house which
is great fun. See http://www.triangletrails.org/PHOTOS14.HTM for
example. If you (or anyone else) is interested in our work days, please
sign up for the mailing list at
http://www.rtpnet.org/mailman/listinfo/trtc-volunteers/

If you prefer building houses, even if you don't have handyman skils,
consider Habitat for Humanity. Habitat is not just "give a man a fish"
as recipients of Habitat houses spend hundreds of hours working on their
house with the volunteers, and are required to pay for the cost of
building materials with a mortgage. See, for example,
http://www.habitatwake.org/

I spent two weeks last summer building houses for Habitat in El
Salvador, and am looking forward to getting involved in a local Habitat
build.

I'd be happy to answer any questions off-list about TRTC or Habitat;
just e-mail me!

Jeremy
| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |