internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] MS opens music store

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Boucher <trekkie AT nomorestars.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] MS opens music store
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:55:05 -0400

On Sep 3, 2004, at 11:09 AM, ron thigpen wrote:

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:

Hey, you gotta back up your computer anyway :-)
Because of the huge convenience I'm now buying from iTunes first, and only then looking for a CD. The sheer storage requirements of CDs has become a problem, and I'm loath to add any more. There's two towers of CDs in the house, and the rest were boxed up and are being stored at my office.

Believe me, I feel the pain of CD storage. But even as good as the compressed formats are these days, there's still a fidelity/convenience trade-off. Depending on the work in question I may or may not choose one over the other.

I don't buy that.

I have a Sony TA-E9000ES Pre-Amplifier, a Sony TA-N9000ES 125W/channel amp, and a Klipsch Reference RF-3 left / right and KSW-15 sub.

I ripped a CD using iTunes in Apple Lossless format, and then converted it to 128K, 192K and 224K AAC.

Using the Airtunes feature of my Airport Express I blasted the song in the same room 5 feet away in each format to this system, and had my wife listen to it and tell me if there was a difference.

The reason I didn't do it is I listened to too much music way too loud as a kid and I think I have some hearing loss at 33 because I can't always hear things in crowded places anymore (like a dinner table with 20 some people at it)

She asked me why I kept playing the same thing over and over. I did a few times play the same version twice, then switch, etc. Tried to be really random and played them about a total of 5 - 6 different times of the three songs. There wasn't a difference.

I played iTMS AAC 128K songs on it that I've bought (about 300 or so) and there is no audible difference. I've re-burnt a purchased AAC file alongside an Apple lossless file from a ripped CD. No difference.

Maybe with early MP3 encoders there was a problem but it just isn't there. I think it's all BS. But MS of course will encode at some slightly higher rate and the brainwashed masses will flock to it because 'it is better' and MS will own the world yet again with a half assed product. The only hope is that no one has seemed to manage to make a player that can take on the dominance of the iPod. It sure as hell won't be Dell but there is someone out there that might be able to pull it off.