internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] MS opens music store

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: Ian Meyer <ianmeyer AT gmail.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] MS opens music store
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:23:29 -0400

Ian Meyer wrote:

No matter what, its nice to have a physical CD that I own and can put
my hands on, instead of just owning a chunk of data with nothing more
to it...

Or worse, when in the eyes of the record company you don't own a copy of the data, you are just allowed to possess it under the terms of the licensing agreement and use it only as they deem fit.

In the case of iTMS and my SlimDevices networked music appliance, in order to stay w/i the boundaries of the agreement, in order to play a track thru my appliance, I would have to burn a copy to CD, and then rip back from that CD. That's just silly.

--rt