internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] MS opens music store

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Roger Austin <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] MS opens music store
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:46:32 -0400

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
Maybe its a coincidence, but for a previous employer I ran a blind listening tests on lossy compression schemes, and found that the "blind" part really messes up people's understanding of what sounds good. I'm sure some people can hear the difference, especially with high-end equipment, but found that most people who think they can hear the difference can't really :-)

Was there a difference between types of music? I would think
that you might not hear differences in something like heavy
metal, but you might hear a difference with a string quartet
or Irish ballads. Was the testing done with test sounds or
music tracks?