internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] heat pump estimates

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: DonBartholf AT aol.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] heat pump estimates
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:14:49 EDT

OK - you have provided actionable information. If the aux heat light comes with the slightest increase in thermostat setting, its a good bet that the compressor system is not working properly. Aux heat's job is to provide extra heat when the compressor system can't keep up with the requested temperature. Aux heat is a series of electric strip heaters inside your air handler. Straight resistive heating like strip heaters is an expensive way to heat. From your power bill, I'd say you used the aux heat feature most of the winter. It happens to a lot of people including myself. Its like using 24 hairdryers running at the same time to heat the house. Anyway, I would recommend calling a local HVAC service (Heating,Ventalation,and Cooling) and tell them you want your system serviced. Mention that you feel freon is required. One indicator that you are low on freon is that you can feel obvious vibration in the 1 inch pipe that goes from the compressor to the airhandler. Another is the temperature of the pipe. When in the heating mode the pipe should be hot, and be careful because you can get a burn, in the cooling mode, the pipe will be cold. Your house can be any colder than that pipe. I've had several systems serviced and servicing is money well spent.

Don