internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] heat pump estimates

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Marcia <msmartin AT ccbeunet.br>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] heat pump estimates
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:17:53 -0300

Very good questions Don. And I guess I'm not 100% sure they need to be
replaced. They are a little over 11 years old, and it does sound to me like
they should last a little longer. All I know is that the upstairs unit is
getting noisy, and in the winter, both units run on auxiliary heat if we
change one degree up in the thermostat.

Also, I asked the guy yesterday, what would be the average heating/cooling
expense for a 1,600sf house in our area, and he showed me a table which
estimated about $50 to $60 per month. That does not include the other
electric appliances, so a total electric bill should be double that,
averaging
about $110 per month. Our personal average is more than that, but not a lot
more. And this past winter we had some $200/$250 electric bills! But again,
with electric prices going up as they are, I don't know if that was just our
bill, or if everybody else also had abnormally high electric bills this past
winter.

So I guess I'm not 100% sure what to do ;-(

Quoting DonBartholf AT aol.com:

> Your estimate is in the reasonable range, but a second estimate would be a
> great idea. Look for a locally owned, one or two truck sized operation. Be
> very
> sure about what the quote includes. A heat pump has two major parts. The
> compressor unit that sits outside and the air handler which is attached to
> the
> ductwork in your house. Some quotes only include changing out the compressor
> unit
> and use the old airhandler. Usually the old airhandler isn't set up to take
> advantage of the newer compressor's efficiencies. This is most often done on
>
> houses being readied for sale or rentals.
>
> Are your present units showing signs of impending failure? While old, they
> should go another couple of years. Maybe all you need is a service call to
> top
> off the freon and vacuum the a-frame coils in the airhandler. And have you
> checked your filters?
>
> Don

WebMail Litoral Internet
www.litoral.com.br