internetworkers - [internetworkers] Kerry/Edwards tomorrow (new thread to distance myself from the spoilers) (not you, Ian)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <dianaduncan AT contentdb.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers:http"@entuend.com://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/ <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Kerry/Edwards tomorrow (new thread to distance myself from the spoilers) (not you, Ian)
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 22:19:17 -0400

Hey, I'm planning on going to the rally tomorrow with a friend and the baby. My friend has four more tickets on hand if anyone else (who is a supporter of the ticket) would like to join us. Drop me a line in the morning and we'll see if we can work something out. Not that tickets are hard to come by...but just in case!

<rant>

Personally, I think that most politicians actually go into public service because they believe in something. Public service is hard, many times unrewarding work. In many ways, it's worse than being a starving artist or struggling actor...actors only need to be discovered once, politicians need to keep on going out there and working for those votes. Generally, they have to be doing something right for some constituents to get elected. The biggest problem is that so many people don't *use* their vote, so guess what? they let us committed ideologues decide for them. And most people also don't bother to let their politicians know what they want, so the big money and large organizations hog all the access. Sure, politicians become corrupt - but any more than the average Joe? I don't think so. Power corrupts. That's why a democracy is better than most other forms of government -- at least we don't have power concentrated in the hands of one person who gained it by virtue of being born - or by assassinating the prior leader. One of the things that scares me so much about Bush is that he seems to believe that he is President because of divine blessing, and that therefore everything he does is right, because of course God couldn't be wrong and he is acting as God's proxy. Yikes.

For any that think that it doesn't matter who is in the White House, I would like to reference the amazing squandering of good will towards the US that this cowboy has accomplished in the past 2 1/2 years.

I'm all for 3rd party candidates, as long as they inspire people to vote. But come on...this is a Democratic pep rally. Do you really need to come and spout your crap? I doubt you'll get many listeners...

</rant>