internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Google Responds to Gmail Privacy Concerns

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Ruth Suehle" <wuzzled AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Google Responds to Gmail Privacy Concerns
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:21:14 -0400

> It seems odd to me that Google is surprised that someone would be put
> off by having a program rifle through their personal communications,
> when it creates such an obvious opening for surveillance. It's like the
> Echelon system, but with coupons (hmmm).

But geez, it's not like there's a new law requiring you to use GMail or even
that it's the only option for e-mail. It's one of gobs of choices. If you
don't like their method of advertising, which they're not even doing
secretly, then you don't have to use it! It's OK if it puts some people
off - I don't think they're exactly going to be hurting for users.

Ruth