internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Google Responds to Gmail Privacy Concerns

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ian Meyer <ianmeyer AT mac.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Google Responds to Gmail Privacy Concerns
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 11:55:02 -0400

I think the GMail ads are more along the lines of the Catalina Coupons that we already give out at grocery stores (I work at a Harris Teeter) that are tailored to your shopping habits.

I realize that grocery shopping and email are a little different (really, a lot), but the concept is still the same.

Also, Google already drops me a cookie and keeps track of my searches and presents ads based on what I search for or the page I'm looking at, so I really don't see the problem with that. If Yahoo, for example, was an AdWords customer, and decided to out the AdWords ads on their webmail mail view page, it wouldn't be that big if a deal.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about the provacy, and I think I'm definitley going to sign up for a GMail account as soon as they are available.

~Ian