internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Google Responds to Gmail Privacy Concerns

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Google Responds to Gmail Privacy Concerns
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:27:34 -0400

Regarding Gmail, a little thought experiment:

What if a grocery store offered to install a system in your house that would notice your grocery needs, and offer genuine help with a minimum of fuss?

"Hey, we're out of nachos--oh, never mind, there are fresh ones on the porch. Thanks, MagicHouse(tm)!"

How does it work? By installing a network of microphones in every room, so that remote servers (fully automated, of course) can monitor the sounds of crunching, chewing, and other digestive... stuff. Sophisticated filtering technology blah blah knows nachos from crackers; you get the idea.

Obviously, you could build on this system to provide many other discreet personal services.

Personally, I don't think I could go for this. My cost/benefit analysis really bogs down at the phrase "microphones in every room". But it's maybe not so different from things that seem reasonable to me now.

It occurs to me that such a system already exists, though it's waned in popularity. It's called a "butler", and it apparently works well for many people. I gather the key ingredient is trust, both in the butling profession and in your particular butler.

=jimA=