internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace AT wayfarer.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:18:14 -0500

Steven Champeon said the following on 3/25/04 12:23 PM:
How about all the people who even though they don't use them are
afraid to offend them lest they be blacklisted?

I don't know anyone like that. Sorry.

Then you haven't been doing your homework. The essay "Why
I Won't Use SPEWS" (http://www.clapper.org/spam/spews.html) was
mentioned earlier and it links to Ed Felten's two messages at
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/22.19.html#subj7 and
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/22.21.html#subj4 where he
details how his ISP suspended his account because someone
convinced spamcop he was a spammer when, in fact, he wasn't,
and that they refused to reinstate his account until it was
cleared by spamcop for fear of offending spamcop. That's
just one example, I'm sure there are plenty more. Saying
there aren't any is equivalent to burying your head in the
sand.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you continue to hold misguided beliefs about
the nature of voluntary action, and that I've failed to convince you
otherwise. I tried.

And I'm sorry that your beliefs are misguided and that you
try to cover the damage done by other misguided people by
saying it's all voluntary.

I'll stop now and let Steve have the final word since he
obviously seems to want it. Sil, I would have e-mailed
Steve directly, but as I said before my mail server has a
generic reverse DNS which Steve has already said he blocks.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace AT wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton