internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace AT wayfarer.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:14:12 -0500

Steven Champeon said the following on 3/25/04 11:56 AM:

Tanner, nobody forces anybody to use a DNSBL. That's why they call them
"voluntary". Nobody forces /me/ to use them, that's for sure, except the
spammers and the companies that host them and the clueless Windows users
whose idea of virus protection is an echinacea tablet.

How about all the people who have accounts with ISPs that force their
users to use them? How about all the people who even though they don't
use them are afraid to offend them lest they be blacklisted? Like it
or not, the RBLs wield power and saying they're "voluntary" denies
that.

Your host is a spam support organization. Get used to it, and stop trying
to explain to me that a few bad apples occasionally squeak by.

The reason for the listing services in the first place is that ISPs
/don't/ care about "offending" everyone on the Net who has to deal with
the fallout from the spammers. That's why I *voluntarily* use the SBL to
block all port 25 traffic from the netblocks they list, such as the
following on your host's network (there were only two upthread, now
there are *four*, though they have removed one, so three of them are
new, within the last week or so, and they're some of the most well-known
spammers around, so don't try to argue that Rackspace doesn't know who
Scott Richter is or who Atriks is):

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL14861
http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL15151
http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL15102
http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL15098

Steve, your memory is slipping here. I don't have any connection
with Rackspace. That was Tarus. I've never mentioned them at all.

But you're welcome to your opinion. Just don't bother sharing it with me,
okay? It's obvious you don't want to make progress here, and I'm tired
of trying to educate you or understand your twisted statements.

My twisted statements? All I was trying to do was ask what standard
*required* that there be an abuse mailbox. The standard listed
is unclear. My feelings on blacklists are something else and all
your "explanations" about them haven't moved my opinion towards
them at all. In fact, it's the other way around. Your attitude that
you must "educate" me has probably done more to enforce my feelings
about RBLs than anything else. If you want to use RBLs, feel free,
but don't expect me to use them or even recommend them to people.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace AT wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton