internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Alexander Wilson <alex AT awstudios.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:27:03 -0500

On Mar 24, 2004, at 12:18 AM, Steven Champeon wrote:

on Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:11:36PM -0500, Alexander Wilson wrote:
2. Most spammed addresses come from harvested addresses and "best
guess" addresses. (If I own MYDOMAIN.COM, I'll get emails addressed to
WEBMASTER AT MYDOMAIN.COM as well as POSTMASTER AT MYDOMAIN.COM and a few
others even though though those email addresses don't technically
exist).

postmaster@ should exist if you get mail at that domain, and it should
be monitored, along with abuse@. It's an RFC compliance issue, and many
folks refuse to accept mail from any server that doesn't support those
addresses. So you may want to reconsider. (webmaster@ and the others, eh,
use your best judgement - but mail admins need a way to contact role
accounts if only to report abuse.)

Huh. Did not know that. I had mine turned off for a few months because I was just getting two or three times the spam (everything doubled or tripled) and never anything legit. Guess I'll have to reactivate them. Thanks for the info.

Whee. I'm amazed
you don't get dozens of these a day - 'alex' is one of the localparts
used by MyDoom. I'm just glad I didn't use 'steve' as my address; that's
another MyDoom localpart.

Don't be amazed. I certainly do get dozens of them a day.

Alex.

www.awstudios.net - Alexander Wilson Studios
www.undersweet.com - A New Comic Strip Every Monday
www.telltaleweekly.com - Funding a Free Audiobook Library