internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:16:53 -0500

on Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 03:29:52PM -0500, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> I don't provide "Internet service" to anyone, so by that measure,
> this shouldn't apply to me at all. In fact, abuse is listed
> under "Customer Relations" only, which to me indicates that it
> isn't for outside parties at all, but rather my "Customers" which
> don't exist.

Tanner, you're smarter than that. If I can send you email, you're
providing an Internet service, by definition.

If you send email, you're using that Internet service. You (Tanner) are
a "customer" or user of that service, and therefore if you want to be a
good neighbor on the network we have to share for better or for worse,
you should be prepared to support the various roles required of everyone
else providing similar services.

If I get spam from what appears to be your network, I damn well want to
be able to report it to you. If you don't want that report, I have to
assume you are rogue and refuse all subsequent mail from your network.
Sadly, you appear to be arguing that exact thing.

All this sophistic resistance, despite the fact that you have a domain,
and it has its own MX record in the DNS. So, you should have
postmaster AT wayfarer.org as an active and monitored mailbox or
equivalent. If you don't want to support abuse@, that's fine. But you're
going to find more and more resistance from all corners if you don't,
especially if someone tries to report a problem originating on your
network and the abuse@ alias bounces abuse reports. So what's the fuss
about? Support the alias, do the right thing. Accept the basic
responsibilities that go along with netizenship.

Steve

Buy "Cascading Style Sheets: Separating Content from Presentation, 2/e" today!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159059231X/heskecominc-20/ref=nosim/