internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace AT wayfarer.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:29:52 -0500

Steven Champeon said the following on 3/24/04 2:50 PM:

Tanner, I'm not going to waste any more time on this. Go read the
/whole thing/ - all the words, not just the highlighted ones, starting
with the /top/ of the document and proceeding down to the /end/ - and
if you have more specific questions, let me know. As far as I can
tell, you're just being stubborn because it amuses you, not because
you honestly care.

Steve,

I have read it. From top to bottom, the whole thing. I understand
it even. However, I think it's very unclear. Section 4 says:

4. NETWORK OPERATIONS MAILBOX NAMES

Operations addresses are intended to provide recourse for customers,
providers and others who are experiencing difficulties with the
organization's Internet service.

MAILBOX AREA USAGE
----------- ---------------- ---------------------------
ABUSE Customer Relations Inappropriate public behaviour
NOC Network Operations Network infrastructure
SECURITY Network Security Security bulletins or queries

I don't provide "Internet service" to anyone, so by that measure,
this shouldn't apply to me at all. In fact, abuse is listed
under "Customer Relations" only, which to me indicates that it
isn't for outside parties at all, but rather my "Customers" which
don't exist.

Basically, it seems to me that people are trying to redefine the
abuse address to fit their own needs and I'm saying that I don't
see it that way in the RFC. We're all reading the same document
so by that I infer that the document is not clear and perhaps should
be updated. Until then, we will just have to disagree. I think
you're wrong. You think I'm wrong. Oh well.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace AT wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton