internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Cities that Rock: Pittsburgh, RDU, Denver?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Caswell <derpimpkar AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Cities that Rock: Pittsburgh, RDU, Denver?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:16:53 -0800 (PST)

I was trying to make the point that the scene is dying if not dead around here.  I don't know why the magazine said Raleigh is a rocking town when nobody shows up.

Something has happened to prevent bands from stopping in Raleigh.  I would almost pay the higher cost of living in DC just to be near the 9:30 Club.  The Cradle does their best but it's just a matter of time before they triple bill a SCOTS/Rev Heat/Junior Brown show.  Mark my words.  I like to go to shows at the Lincoln but there are times when I want to see something bigger.  I want a place that would attract the Pixies or even larger bands that don't have a Top 10 single.

If it's the promoters they need to be shot because they have no concept of music.  It seems to be about the money to me.  And if it's the crowd then I guess I'm driving to Atlanta and DC.  Anyone want to go in on some Darkness tickets in Atlanta with me?

Tom

zman <zman AT gibbon.kungfumonkey.com> wrote:
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Tom Caswell wrote:
> Frankly, I have no idea how this town made it on the list. I stalk Pollstar in the hopes bands I like will come to Raleigh and yet the increasingly avoid the area. Chapel Hill used to be such a buzz and now if it wasn't for the Cradle I think it would be hard to attach any music label to it all.
> I'll qualify the last paragraph by saying I'm sure there are local bands that are excellent but I'm tired of driving to Atlanta/DC/maybe Charlotte for a slightly off-the-beaten-path musician. David Bowie once came to the Creek with NIN and now the closest he'll get is DC. It's like they'll try this town and find out it's a dump. I wonder if Clay Aiken would have even stopped by if he didn't live here. I'm all set if I want to see Toby Keith.

What about the 3 previous times Bowie came through? It's not as much the
market as the promoters in the area. They're very slack. When I worked
for Promotion Concerts in the 80's we brought many quality acts through.
After Walnut Creek opened everything went to hell as far as concerts in
the area. I hoped the ESA would revive some of it but alas no such luck.

--
Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com

Do you Yahoo!?