internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Cities that Rock: Pittsburgh, RDU, Denver?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Cities that Rock: Pittsburgh, RDU, Denver?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:29:33 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Tom Caswell wrote:
> Frankly, I have no idea how this town made it on the list. I stalk
> Pollstar in the hopes bands I like will come to Raleigh and yet the
> increasingly avoid the area. Chapel Hill used to be such a buzz and now if
> it wasn't for the Cradle I think it would be hard to attach any music label
> to it all.
> I'll qualify the last paragraph by saying I'm sure there are local bands
> that are excellent but I'm tired of driving to Atlanta/DC/maybe Charlotte
> for a slightly off-the-beaten-path musician. David Bowie once came to the
> Creek with NIN and now the closest he'll get is DC. It's like they'll try
> this town and find out it's a dump. I wonder if Clay Aiken would have even
> stopped by if he didn't live here. I'm all set if I want to see Toby
> Keith.

What about the 3 previous times Bowie came through? It's not as much the
market as the promoters in the area. They're very slack. When I worked
for Promotion Concerts in the 80's we brought many quality acts through.
After Walnut Creek opened everything went to hell as far as concerts in
the area. I hoped the ESA would revive some of it but alas no such luck.

--
Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com