internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Cities that Rock: Pittsburgh, RDU, Denver?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Cities that Rock: Pittsburgh, RDU, Denver?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:17:55 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov wrote:
> It's been a long damn time since I voluntarily drove to Raleigh to see a
> show at the Brewery. Their booking has sucked for my taste, no doubt.
> But perhaps more relevant, they didn't try to reach out and gather a
> scene unto themselves, either. For example, the Pourhouse: You
> personally might not ever want to see a show there, but boy, they know
> their niche market, and they book to it. What did the Brewery try to
> book to?

Well that was part of the problem, both times I worked their (84-85 and
90-91) thay had it going on. Somewhere in there they lost their way. A lot
of people blame Grog for it, but realistically it started earlier than
that. When the Garage was open it catered to the same crowd so it split
things up.

> Bigger acts will go to the Lincoln the same way as they go to the Cradle
> in Chapel Hill, but there's still a whole lot of space in music world
> left unbooked, and I can't see that Kings would get all of that business
> in Raleigh. After all, Raleigh is much larger than Chapel Hill, and yet
> CH manages to keep Go!, 506, the Cave, and Nightlight going. Admittedly,
> some of those places have suffered financial difficulties, but they are
> there. I see Kings as sort of the 506 of Raleigh, but were is the Cave
> of Raleigh, where small local acts can get booked? Where is the
> Nightlight of Raleigh, with odd, avant-garde, or even non-rock acts?

Don't forget the Berkley, Sadlack's, and I'm sure there are a couple I'm
forgetting. And unlike the clubs in CH the ones in Raleigh tend to try and
take over each other rather than building a niche. I would say that the
Lincoln and Kings went after a portion of the Brewery's crowd and won. But
to be fair the Brewery had a good run and had some very good shows that
went there strictly because of the history of the club. It's sad and had I
known Kenny wanted out that bad I may have tried to buy it from him.

--
Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com