internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Cities that Rock: Pittsburgh, RDU, Denver?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: bethellison AT netscape.net (Beth)
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org ("Internetworkers: http://www.ibib lio.org/internetworkers/")
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Cities that Rock: Pittsburgh, RDU, Denver?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:22:57 -0500

zman <zman AT gibbon.kungfumonkey.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Tony Spencer wrote:
>> I'm guessing the Lincoln Theatre was the impetus for the closing of the
>> Brewery.
>
>I would say it had more to do with letting Grog book the place for 3
>years, by the time Kenny finally got rid of him it was a little to little
>a little to late. Also the city, neighborhood, and university's attack on
>alcohol serving establishments didn't help.

Indeed. The Brewery, which had an outstanding sound man and a great location,
went under largely because of the booking. Kings and The Lincoln Theater
picked up where The Brewery fell short.

Carrboro and Chapel Hill have many good venues for bands (main reason I moved
here from Raleigh) and Durham is picking up steam again.

This area is just a musical place, whether it's in clubs or in someone's
backyard. Or the guy who lives a few houses down from me who has a killer
stereo in his car that we all get to enjoy every time he drives down the
street. ;)

And I think lists like "Cities That Rock" are so highly subjective that it's
hard to take them too seriously. Not that I have a problem with The Triangle
(which is the term they should've used instead of RDU) being considered a
rocking place, but it means about as much as, for example, the 100 Greatest
Books Ever Written club that Easton Press has. Greatest according to whom?

Like they say, opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.

Beth

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.