internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Re: Raleigh City Council USA PATRIOT Act Resolution Update

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Re: Raleigh City Council USA PATRIOT Act Resolution Update
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 20:59:59 -0500

On Mar 9, 2004, at 8:17 PM, James Dasher wrote:

Library records? Though the power to search them is there, I am not aware of a single instance in which the power has been used. Similarly with other provisions that heralded the demise of the republic (though the roving wiretaps and other things have, I understand, been used).

So anything goes just as long as the powers have never used it to date? The main problem to my mind is not that law enforcement can do searches, its that they don't need a warrant or probable cause.

http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cfm?ID=12126&c=207

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC