internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Marriage and religion

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <art2mis AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Marriage and religion
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:35:53 -0500

On Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004, at 10:24 US/Eastern, Michael D. Thomas wrote:
This was a great thread.

I, for one, enjoyed the thought-provoking opinions and research. I can't
wait until another thread arouses the same passions that this one did. I
hope that, as always, we can keep such heavyweight discourses respectful
so as to encourage similar discourses in the future. Any conversation
where everyone feels that they are respected and that their contribution
is valuable, even if some disagree with their /ideas/, makes INW a cool
place to hang out, IMHO.

Anyway, I enjoyed this thread. I hope others did, too.

Cheers!

I was very interested in the responses and the direction it took. I believe only one person actually tried to explain the reasoning behind the blind equation of marriage and religion in current discourse, though. Thanks to Alan MacHett for the following:

>Now, fast forward through history again, all the while combining and
>considering the religious and secular aspects of the issue. Consider
>this: something like 80% of the US citizenry claims to be Christian. In
>that religion, in fact in most religions, marriage = children ... which
>requires a man and a woman (let's not bring modern science into the
>argument just yet). God says so. Nothing else matters.

>Secondly, our Republic is based on majority rule, so the rest of us can
>just forget about it. To them, the government only gives an earthly
>rubberstamp to a heavenly-ordained truth. There can be no separation of
>church and state because God makes the rules. Just look at those bills in
>your wallet: "In God you must trust."

>You're baffled because you don't have religion as a factor in your
>reasoning. But most of the people making the rules do (that and money --
>those are the two determinants in politics: money (by far) and religion).
>And they don't want you or your kind to have the same rights they do.

I was afraid it was something like that...

Diana