internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Candidate Match for Pres

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: thomas AT tbeckett.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Candidate Match for Pres
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:45:47 -0500

Thomas Beckett wrote:
BTW, my results were Kucinich, Sharpton, Kerry, Dean. I'll probably still vote for Dean at the caucus.

And as long as I'm still on my soapbox, does anyone here share my outrage at the total hatchet job that "the media" did on Howard Dean? CNN played the directional-mic feed of the "scream" speech 633 times in the four days before the New Hampshire primary. Those news editors knew full well that they were basically editing out the crowd noise to make a pep rally style fire-up-the-team speech seem like a maniacal rant.

Now the media isn't a monolithic entity, it is a bunch of independent actors that mainly function as a swarm and exhibit swarm behavior. In this case it was like a school of piranhas. Dean may have his flaws, all the candidates do, but there was something more venal at work here than your typical swarm journalism.

Kerry is sitting pretty right now, but Bush is sitting pretty, too, with $200 million in the bank and the most ruthless team of hatchet-wielders and piranha-wranglers ever assembled. And then there's the whole Diebold election-fixing apparatus.

It will be an interesting year.

TaB