internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Candidate Match for Pres

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <art2mis AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Candidate Match for Pres
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:40:19 -0500

On Thursday, Feb 12, 2004, at 00:55 US/Eastern, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

Thomas Beckett wrote:

The never-ending redistricting litigation has put the very basis of the elections in to question, so the state Board of Election put off the state primary elections until July. That is far too late for any meaningful participation in the presidential selection process, so the state party is implementing a contingency plan for electing delegates in lieu of the established primary election. You must be a registered Democrat to participate.

So, who do I complain about for the fact that all of us who refuse to
affiliate with a political party are now effectively disenfranchised?
I was planning on voting in the democratic primary (because there
really isn't a republican primary this year) to hopefully influence in
some micro-miniscule way the election but now I just have to accept
what's given to me in the November election?!? What's the point
of having laws that say independents can vote in primaries then?
The question is, who's fault it it? The republicans for the damn
lawsuit or the democrats for moving things around. <sarcasm>Perhaps
I should just sue them all</sarscasm>. Nah, better to vote them
all out of office...

Tanner

I don't see why anyone not affiliating themselves with a political party should be allowed to vote in that party's primary. The point of a primary is to select /your/ party's candidate for office. What do you think a party is for? It's a club of like-minded voters (roughly) and if you are not a member, then you don't get to play. What laws say independents can vote in primaries? Is this some crazy North Carolina thing? In Ohio, you must be registered as a member of the party to vote in that party's primary. Haud your wheesht, Tanner. :)

Diana