internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mac Mail help

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace AT wayfarer.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mac Mail help
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 13:58:00 -0500

James Dasher wrote:
Tarus Balog wrote:

The signature file, on the other hand, remains the default. That, and the inability to unsubscribe to IMAP mailboxes, are my only two complaints with Mail.app.

If you're complaining about what I think you're complaining about, just run </Library/Scripts/Mail Scripts/Manage SMTP Servers.scpt> to delete excess and unused SMTP servers from Mail's list of possible SMTP servers.

No, what I believe he's referring to is Mail.app's inability to handle
imap subscriptions. If you use imap, it shows you everything. Any decent
mailer these days will let you subscribe to certain mailboxes using
imap and only show those. This is just one of the problems I have with
Mail.app.

Another problem I have is its lack of keyboard shortcuts. WTF should
I have to use the mouse in my mail program just to go to the next
message (or unread message, or previous message, etc..)

Lack of role accounts. I categorize my e-mail by using different
addresses for different things. I want to be able to specify what
my return address is, or at the very least pick it out of a list
and that list shouldn't be tied in any way to a receiving server.

It also take a special add-on to integrate with GPG, but that's can
at least be worked around.

Granted, there isn't a mail program out there today that does everything
I want it to. Evolution on linux is close, but it sucks in so many
ways that I refuse to use it anymore. Thunderbird is getting there
and works ok under linux, OS X and windows.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace(at)wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/