internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Well, That Didn't Take Long...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: raustin3 AT nc.rr.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Well, That Didn't Take Long...
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:50:45 -0500 (EST)

.:No matter
.:what, music can't be free unless you pull down the instruments
.:and make your own compositions.

Well, maybe as long as you're playing the instrument. AFAIK there's no
royalty for privately playing a song written by someone else, and there's
certainly no existing technology that can prevent a musician from doing
so. :)

There IS a royalty for recording and distributing such a work, and
possibly a royalty for playing such a work "live" (ie in concert).
There is also a royalty collected when you buy sheet music -- to the
composer, and possibly to an arranger as well (if they aren't the same).
But this royalty typically doesn't include public performance or
recording rights.

You can also avoid royalties by sticking to traditional material, or
your own derivatives thereof. You *should* (IMHO) be able to avoid
royalties through fair-use by utilizing small snippets -- a bar here, or a
bar there, like a book quoting another book. I don't know if that's
actually protected as a fair use, but it seems like it should be.

Overall, I've found that over the last couple of years, I'm listening to a
lot less music, and playing a lot more. Am I stealing when I learn to
play a song instead of buying a recording?

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)