internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Well, That Didn't Take Long...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Well, That Didn't Take Long...
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 11:18:37 -0500

I don't know about free, but it is my understanding that sales of
counterfeit (a.k.a. pirated) music in many countries is rampant. Everyone
wants entertainment software for less than in offered through the legal
channels, be it music, movies, or computer software.

>From a June 5, 2003 articles in Forbes:

"In Russia alone the local pirated music market grew to $311 million last
year, well above a legal music market of $257 million."

http://www.forbes.com/home_asia/newswire/2003/06/05/rtr991570.html

>From an academic paper covering music piracy and the Philippine cultural
imaginary:

"Since the late 1990¹s, the International Intellectual Property Association
(IIPA) has put the Philippines in its watch list of intellectual property
violators. In 1997, piracy in the Philippines accounts for estimated losses
of about 3 million US dollars in music, 22 million in motion pictures, 56.7
million in business application computer programs, 26 million in
entertainment software, and 70 million in books (IIPA, 1997). These
statistics have grown as Manila ranks presently as the 7th worst
Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) violator (Arceo-Dumlao, 2001), and is
seen as the next piracy capital in Asia (International Trade, 2001a)."

http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/mpi/conference/Baes.htm

So, the piracy practice does not seem to be restricted to the US.

David

--
DesignHammer Media Group, LLC : 919.313.4588 : http://designhammer.com