internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Well, That Didn't Take Long...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Maria Winslow <maria.winslow AT windows-linux.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Well, That Didn't Take Long...
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:37:53 -0500

On Monday 03 November 2003 11:18 am, David Minton wrote:
> I don't know about free, but it is my understanding that sales of
> counterfeit (a.k.a. pirated) music in many countries is rampant. Everyone
> wants entertainment software for less than in offered through the legal
> channels, be it music, movies, or computer software.

I believe it can be difficult to predict the effect of a given distribution
model. The Grateful Dead encouraged fans to tape shows and share copies.
(While most people would say that the quality was not listenable, I know
plenty of people who were happy to listen over and over again.) I understand
that they made lots of money on the live performances, arguably prompted by
the fan culture that "stole" the music.

Maria