internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Well, That Didn't Take Long...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott <catfather AT donpoo.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Well, That Didn't Take Long...
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:48:10 -0500

On Nov 3, 2003, at 8:49 AM, Beth wrote:

I'm trying hard to understand why so many people seem so determined to get music for free. You can't walk in to a record store and take what you want, why should it be available online for free? If a band wants to make their music available for free, let them put all the songs they want to on their website.

This truly is a mystery to me. I wonder if it's such a big deal in any country other than the US.

I think there are two main reasons why the "try-and-buy" group of people seek out the music for free before plunking down the cash for the CD. I know there is a second group, the "steal-it-all" people, and yeah, they shouldn't be doing that.

It's rare that anyone puts out a good album any more. Look at your CD collection (assuming you have one) and note how many of the CDs contain songs you don't like or wouldn't bother to purchase if you could have avoided doing so. Consumers are learning that they have a choice to NOT buy an album, but rather buy just the songs they want. How do they know what they want though?

It's much much more common these days to find people downloading complete tracks and then later on purchasing the CD or the individual song as a result of listening. You can argue that music stores provide a listen-before-you-buy service but I would say there is a great difference between auditioning music while standing around in public vs relaxing in your favorite chair at home. I would say it's the difference between listening and hearing the music. The store environments just don't offer a comfortable place to really get a good feel of the music.

So among my friends the drive to download boils down to being able to listen to the music in a comfortable environment as well as being able to purchase music they like rather than being force fed an album full of songs.

--
Scott (aim: bluecame1)
blog: http://sackheads.org/~scottrus/blog/